1. Measure the space that you have in your closet. This will determine how big your scarf rack should be (and how big your frame should be). Have your hardware store cut the dowels, too, while you are there. They should be as wide as your frame.
2. Pick up the plywood from your local hardware store and have them cut the board the same size as your picture frame.
3. With a pencil, mark how far apart you would like each dowel to be, and mark it with a pencil on both sides of the picture frame.
4. Take a ½” drill bit and drill into the sides of where you marked. This will be the place to hold the dowels inside the picture frame.
5. Take your pre-cut dowels, add wood glue to the ends and insert them into the holes you made on either side of your frame.
6. Add the piano hinge on the inside of the frame at the bottom, and at the bottom of the wood board that will be your base.
7. At the top of the structure, screw in the C-hooks on either side.
8. Attach the twine in a loop on the frame so that when it is closed, this will hold it together.
9. Using a long piece of twine, attach one side to the top and another to the base on BOTH sides. Make sure that when it is extended, it is 90 degrees from the base.
10. Add paint if you would like or keep it wood color and rustic.
11. Add lettering to the top if you want, or keep it the way it is and enjoy a stress-free scarf situation!
1. Hang this in an area that has enough space for the rack to come down at a 90 degree angle.
2. Question: How should you hang this? Answer: The best way to hang this is to use a French cleat. Turn your structure over and add one side of the French cleat (the other side will be mounted to the wall).