We love this outdoor décor, a perfect way to add Fall décor to your door.
DIY Scarecrow Wreath
DIY SCARECROW WREATH MATERIALS:
- Fall wreath
- Children’s jeans
- Children’s jean shirt
- Children’s straw hat
- Pillow stuffing
- Styrofoam ball at least 6”
- Canvas or burlap fabric
- Felt in brown and orange
- Fabric in fall colors and patterns
- Fabric scissors
- Hot glue gun and glue sticks
- Zip ties
- Wire snips
- Sewing machine
- Straight pins
DIY SCARECROW WREATH INSTRUCTIONS:
- Make the pants out of a pair of kid’s jeans. Resize them to make them narrower by turning them inside out, cutting the inseam to the size you want and sewing the sides shut again. Resizing isn’t entirely necessary but will save you a lot of stuffing! PRO TIP: If you’re not a sewer, the sides can be seamed with fabric glue. Wait for the glue to thoroughly dry before flipping right-side out thought.
- Stuff the pants with pillow stuffing and add wire down the inseam of each leg to give the legs pliability and structure. Glue in place with hot glue if necessary.
- Stuff the shirt and add wire down the arms. Hot glue in place if necessary.
- Add patches to the clothes if desired. Cut some squares out of your fall fabrics. Glue them to the pants and shirt.
- Create boots for the scarecrow out of brown felt. Draw a small boot pattern that will fit into the cuff of the jeans, cut out four felt boot pieces and sew or glue them together. Flip right-side out. Stuff with stuffing. PRO TIP: If you use glue wait for it to thoroughly dry before flipping.
- Secure the top of the boots into the cuff of the jeans with hot glue. Leave some room to stuff some hay in if possible.
- Create the head of the scarecrow by wrapping the styrofoam ball with a square of fabric that is big enough to have a few inches of excess around the bottom. Shove a piece of wire into the bottom of the ball to create a “neck” that will go into the shirt to secure the head to the body of the scarecrow.
- Secure the fabric around the head by tying a bandana or cut piece of fall fabric around the excess on the bottom where the wire is protruding from.
- Add a nose to the scarecrow face by cutting a small triangle of orange felt and gluing it to the fabric.
- Now attach your scarecrow parts to the wreath using zip ties. First attach the shirt, then the pants and finally the head by shoving the wire “neck” into the shirt. Cut into the fabric where necessary for the zip-ties to attach to the wreath structure without being seen.
- Position the hat on the head and adhere it with hot glue.
- Stuff some hay into the cuffs of the shirt and sticking out of the bottom of the pants around the boots. Secure with hot glue where necessary.
- Hang the wreath as desired and enjoy!
More DIY Fall Wreaths ideas!