- Two different fabrics
- Fabric scissors
- Sewing machine
- Beam compass or pencil and string
- Straight pin
- Chalk or fabric marker
- Paper for pattern
- Fabri-tac or needle and thread
1. Create the pattern for your skirt. Use the beam compass or a string with a pencil tied to it to create your circle pattern on a piece of paper. Draw outer circle first, then a smaller circle inside. Cut a slit from the outer circle to the inner circle and cut it out, this is the opening of the skirt to put around the tree. Cut the along the edge of the larger circle to finish the pattern.
2. Trace the pattern onto each of your fabrics and cut them out.
3. Cut 8 strips of ribbon that will serve as the ties to secure the skirt around the tree.
4. Place the fabric face to face then flip back the fabric on top along the opening of the skirt and place 4 strips of the ribbon strips across from each other on each side along the edges of the slit. They should be on the inside so that when you flip the skirt right side out, they’re on the outside.
5. Pin everything in place except the edge of the inner circle.
6. Sew all of the edges except the inner circle.
7. Cut slits along the seam allowance and press the seams open flat so the edge of the skirt curves smoothly.
8. Flip the skirt right side out and close up the opening of the inner circle. You won’t see the top edge so you can either glue it or use a needle and thread to sew it closed with an invisible stitch.
9. Place under your tree, tie together and enjoy!