- Black plastic tray
- Light gray spray paint
- White acrylic paint
- Chip brush
- Spray acrylic sealant (high gloss)
- Scouring pad or 320 grit sandpaper
- Photo of full moon
1. First use your scouring pad or sandpaper and rough up the surface of the plastic tray by gently buffing it in a circular motion.
2. Spray paint your tray light gray, the more imperfect your paint job the better! The spotty patches automatically help the tray resemble the moon.
3. After your spray paint has dried completely, use your chip brush to stipple white acrylic paint onto the tray while looking at a photo of the moon for reference.
*Don’t stress about being too accurate, this abstract paint technique ends up resembling the moon regardless! *
4. Once the paint is completely dry apply a generous amount of spray on clear acrylic sealant.
5. While the sealer is still wet sprinkle salt and mica powder on.
6. Allow that to sink in for about 5-10 minutes then apply another coat of the sealant.
7. After that apply as many coats of sealant necessary to solidify the loose powder following the directions of your particular sealant.
8. Let your tray dry completely and enjoy!