Materials for DIY Compass
- Bowl of water
Materials for Magnetic Slime
- Liquid starch
- Iron filings
- Elmer’s glue
- Parchment paper
Directions for DIY Compass
1) Brush a needle with a magnet 10 times in the same direction, you're grooming in the magnet (or forcing it to align its domains)
2) Insert the needle into a cork.
3) Put the cork/needle into a bowl half-filled with water.
* You'll see the needle points north!
Steps for Magnetic Slime
1) Pour 1/2 cup of liquid starch into a disposable mixing bowl (paper, plastic, it doesn’t matter).
2) Stir in 4 tablespoons of iron filings, mix thoroughly.
3) Pour in 1/2 cup of Elmer’s White Glue, mix thoroughly.
4) Remove the slime from the bowl and set it on a piece of cardboard or a sheet of parchment paper to keep your table clean.
5) Time to play with magnets! Try a number of different types of magnets, which work best? How far can you stretch the slime without touching it?
6) The magnets I’m using are made from an element called Neodymium. This element, found naturally in the earth’s crust, makes some of the strongest magnets in the world!
Check out more fun DIY projects at the Home & Family Pinterest Page