Orly Shani is giving our doors personality for Halloween with a great interactive craft the whole family can enjoy.
DIY Magnetic Halloween Door Décor
DIY Magnetic Halloween Door Décor - Home & Family
DIY MAGNETIC HALLOWEEN DOOR DÉCOR MATERIALS:
- Magnetic paint
- Craft foam sheets in black and white
- X-acto knife
- Cutting mat
- Craft magnets
- Hot glue gun and glue sticks
- Template provided here
- Circular saw
- Ribbon to width of plywood
DIY MAGNETIC HALLOWEEN DOOR DÉCOR INSTRUCTIONS:
- Cut or have your plywood cut to desired size. The larger board is 2’ x 3’ and the smaller board 1’ x 2’.
- Paint your plywood board with the magnetic paint. Apply 5 coats, allowing each coat to dry in between so that it becomes magnetic. Set aside to dry.
- Print the template then cut to size and shape. The template provided is for the 2’ x 3’ board. If you want to create the 1’ x 2’, shrink the template 30%. To do so, go to the scale option in your print settings and print it at 70%.
- Cut the white foam sheets to the size and shape of the template, including the details with an x-acto knife on a cutting mat.
- Create the backing for each skeleton piece. Place each piece on top of the black foam and cut a ¼” border around the piece. Do not cut out the details, just the general outer shape.
- Use hot-glue to attach each bone to its backing piece.
- Attach the magnets to the back of the backing on each piece with hot glue. Distribute them evenly on each side so that the whole bone will float off of the board.
- If you’d like to cover the raw edge of the plywood, hot glue ribbon to it or paint it an accent color.
- Hang as desired, add the magnetized pieces to the board and enjoy!