- Waterproof roofing felt
- Zip ties
- Rain gutter (vinyl)
- Roof repair tape
- Potting soil (pick one that is good for your plants – in my case, succulents)
- Pea pebbles (or gravel)
- Small succulents
- Galvanized roofing nails
- FOR THE BOX: TBD for exacts but will probably be 1x4 pieces of wood and screws
- Hand shovel
- Heavy duty scissors or utility knife
- Wood glue
- Drill with drill bit
1. Measure the roof of your dog house on each side (if you have a pitched roof like mine, it will be the same on both sides – you can also do this on a flat roof, or a one-pitch roof).
2. Cut out your roofing felt to the size of your roof. You can use heavy duty scissors or a utility knife.
3. Create your framed box to hold your plants with 1x4’s. Measure and cut to the size of your roof.
4. Assemble the box with wood glue and screws.
5. Attach the box to the roof of your dog house.
6. Drill a few holes at the bottom of your box(es) to allow for water to flow out of the box.
7. Cut your vinyl rain gutters to the size of your roof. Attach by drilling small holes into the vinyl and using zip ties to attach them to the roof.
8. Lay the roofing felt between the box on the roof. Attach with galvanized roofing nails or roof repair tape (I like the tape option best).
9. Start adding your potting soil, pea pebbles and moss to the box.
10. Add your succulents.
11. Fill in the areas around your succulents with more soil and moss to complete the look.