Lynn Lilly builds a spooktacular haunted house for kids.
DIY Haunted House
DIY HAUNTED HOUSE MATERIALS:
- Crayola acrylic paint
- 2 large cardboard boxes
- 2 medium cardboard boxes
- 2” wide Halloween ribbon
- 1” wide Halloween ribbon
- Crayola construction paper
- Crayola model magic
- Crayola crayons
- Decorative Halloween ribbon corsage or small faux pumpkin, faux leaves and wired ribbon
- Masking tape
- Yard stakes
- Hot glue gun and industrial glue sticks
- Box cutter
DIY HAUNTED HOUSE INSTRUCTIONS:
- To create the house, you need a total of 3 boxes; 2 large and 1 medium. Use a box cutter to open the boxes and attach them together use masking tape and some industrial hot glue. You want to make sure this is sturdy! PRO TIP: You can use yard stakes to really keep it in place by attaching them to the inside vertically.
- Create the roof by cutting a medium-sized box and attach it to the top of the boxes with tape and glue.
- Once the house is built, use a ruler and pencil and draw the door.
- Take the box cutter and cut out the door’s top and one side so that the other side acts as a hinge.
- Paint the house. You can mix the acrylic paint to create the pretty purple. Start with the original Crayola purple paint and then add white to make a softer shade. Allow the paint to dry.
- Add the shingles to the roof. Tape pieces of black construction paper on in rows from the bottom edge up to the top of the roof on each side. The spacing doesn’t have to be perfect, it’s fun to have some variety for a quirky Halloween look.
- Use construction paper to create windows and shudders on the house by using glue to attach them. Cut a piece of yellow or orange paper into four sections and space them about 1” apart so it appears there is a windowpane.
- Draw and cut out a paper ghost to add in the window if desired, glue to attach.
- Add the ribbon trim. Glue the 2” ribbon on the vertical corners of house. Glue the 1” ribbon to trim the edges of the door.
- Spell your child’s name or a spooky phrase in crayons on the door. Break them if to create the shapes of letters you need if necessary. Hot glue to attach.
- Glue the decorative Halloween corsage on as the topper. If you weren’t able to find one to purchase create your own out of a faux pumpkin, faux leaves and ribbon then glue on.
- To create the spiders, roll out all your pieces using Crayola model magic first. Two balls in black, one bigger than the other. Roll out eight, ½” thick legs for the spider. Then two eyeballs in white and add a small black flat oval on top as the pupils.
- Assemble the spider and allow to dry according to directions, once dry attach them to the house using hot glue.
- Add extra fun details like spider webbing, pumpkins around and enjoy!