- 1 (2ft x 4ft) Board of Medium Density Fiberboard
- Paint: Off-White and Dark Grey (Optional)
- Utility Knife
- Wood Button Plugs
- Hot Glue
- Sand Paper
- Hallmark Keepsake Ornaments! (For Display)
1. Using the MDF board, trace a birch tree outline with branches. Leave about 5 inches of space at the top of the board. At the base of the tree, draw a wide mound of snow about 3 inches tall and across the board, to give it stability.
2. In the extra space, trace and cut out another mound of snow about the same size as the first mound of snow.
3. Cut tree and snow mounds using a jigsaw.
4. Trace and cut a slit the thickness of your board at the center, base of the tree.
5. Cut another slit, the same size into the center top of the second mound of snow.
6. Paint the entire tree and snow mounds with the off-white paint.
7. Using the utility knife, cut shallow v-grooves into the tree branches and pull the pieces out. (MDF Board is fairly soft, so it can be hand cut easily with the utility knife.) This will make the lines on the birch tree.
8. (Optional) Using dark grey paint, fill in the cut grooves. They can also be left bare, and the edges sanded down to give depth.
9. Sand the branch edges to give it more dimension
10. Fit the two boards together perpendicular, through the slits. This will act as the base to make the tree stand upright.
11. On the backside of the branches, use hot glue to attach the wood button plugs evenly spaced horizontally. This will be where the ornaments hang from.
12. Hang your ornaments from the wood button plugs using string at a desired distance!