Shirley Bovshow has a DIY for bird lovers that like to garden.
DIY Gourd Birdhouses
Dried bottle gourds
Bleach water mixture in spray bottle
2” hole saw bit
Hot glue gun and glue sticks
- Spray the gourd with water and bleach mixture, wipe the dust off with a paper towel and allow it to dry in a room that is kept relatively cool. Make sure to wear gloves while doing so.
- Carefully drill the opening for the house into the gourd using the 2” hole saw. Wear a mask and gloves while doing so, the gourds can have mold. PRO TIP: You can do research on preferences of different birds for size of holes and hanging heights, 2” holes are preferred by finches.
- Use a spoon to scoop out the insides of the gourd.
- Drill two holes in the top of the gourd to hang the gourd form.
- Paint the gourd entirely or with patterns if desired. Allow to dry.
- Draw the design onto the gourd with a pencil that you want to lay twine onto.
- Finish your twine design by using fabric-tac or hot glue to attach it.
- String metal wire or fishing line through the holes to hang the gourd. PRO TIP: Soft cord can capture moisture and grow mold.
- Hang 5’ above the ground for finches or to height for desired bird and enjoy!