- Birch sticks (about ¾” in diameter)
- Bakers twine in a variety of colors
- Mod Podge
- Foam brush
- Glass gems (for vases)
- Downloadable prints of garden items
1. Print out what you would like each of your garden markers to say, keeping in mind the size of your gems. You want to make sure that the writing does not exceed the edge of the gem. You will need 2 print-outs of each item to create this look.
2. Cut these out with scissors the same size as your gems.
3. Take a small amount of mod podge on your foam brush and put a very light coat on the flat side of two gems.
4. Add the writing to one of the gems, face down, and repeat the exact same action for the other.
5. Add additional mod podge to the back of each gem (backside of the print out) and connect them together, making sure that the words/pictures line up on each side. This will look like the gems created a ball and will enlarge the image within the gem. Set aside to dry.
6. Once dry, take your little gems and attach them to the top of your branch with E-6000. This is a great product that holds over time, but it does take a little while to set up. In the meantime, add hot glue to secure it in place for the moment, and allow the E-6000 to set up over time. Also, add a thin bead of hot glue around the gems where they meet. This will keep your gems from leaking in the rain, sprinklers, etc. It’s just a little added security that the writing inside the gems stays dry.
7. Complete this step on all of your garden markers and set aside.
8. Take several different colors of your baker’s twine and assign which marker gets what color. This is a completely personal preference so enjoy picking your favorites.
9. Add hot glue all around the base where the gems meet the branch. You can start with a thin bead since you will need to hide it with your twine.
10. Wrap the branch over and over so that it creates a cute little decorative detail to the top of the branch (and hides any ugly part of the branch that you want to keep hidden where it meets the gems). Continue this until you are about 2” down your branch. Cut your twine at the end and add a bead of hot glue to the branch to secure into place. Push the twine down into the glue to complete the look.
11. Let these dry for about 24 hours before adding them to your garden. This will assure that all glue has had time to set.
12. Enjoy your garden markers and watch your garden grow!