- An oversized flannel button up shirt (mine was a women’s XL maternity shirt)
- Matching thread
- Enough 2″ elastic to fit your natural waist comfortably
- Sewing Machine
1) Seam rip the front pockets off of the shirt.
2) Cut the arms off of the shirt at the seams.
3) Measure about 18″ up from the bottom seam of the shirt and cut horizontally across the shirt.
4) Serge the raw edge you just cut. You should now have a rectangle of fabric, with buttons running down the center
5) Form a circle with your elastic by placing the two ends together. Sew a straight line with a 3/8″ seam allowance, backstitching several times.
6) Attach your elastic to the serged edge of your skirt by pinning right sides together. Evenly space your pins around the waistband as shown in the picture above, making sure to keep the elastic’s seam centered in the back of the skirt.
7) Sew the elastic to the skirt with a 3/8″ seam allowance. Stretch the elastic as you are sewing to make sure that the fabric and elastic lay flat and the edges are lined up. Insert drawstring live to adjust waist