Maria Provenzano shows us how to make a sweet drink topper perfect for your Christmas photos on Instagram.
DIY Faux Drink Toppers
DIY FAUX DRINK TOPPERS MATERIALS:
- Lightweight spackling
- Paint in white and any other color desired for topper
- Plastic container
- Stir stick
- Piping bag
- Large star piping tip
- Mug or cup
- Deli cup lids
- Cork material
- X-acto knife
- Cutting mat
- Styrofoam ball
- Serrated knife
- Hot glue gun and glue sticks
- Clear spray sealant
- Fake candies
- Cinnamon sticks
- Ground cinnamon
DIY FAUX DRINK TOPPERS INSTRUCTIONS:
- Create the base for your topper. Place the plastic lid on top of the mug and trace the top of the cup with a marker. Use an x-acto knife to cut the plastic. You want the plastic to fit over the top of the cup not fit inside of the cup.
- Cut some of the foam ball off with a serrated knife so that it sits flat and glue to the plastic with low temp hot glue. The structure of the foam ball will help keep the shape of the faux whipped cream. PRO TIP: If you don’t have a low temp hot glue gun, add a little glue and allow it to cool for a few seconds before placing the styrofoam.
- Make the faux whipped cream mixture. In a plastic bin, mix together 1-part spackle and 1-part paint until thoroughly blended.
- Place the piping tip into the bag then scoop the faux whipped cream mixture in. If you want to create the swirl, scoop the two colors into the bag side by side. PRO TIP: Whatever you use for crafting shouldn’t be reused for baking or cooking, keep your crafting tools separate.
- Pipe the faux whipped cream mixture onto the base around the styrofoam ball to make it look like whipped cream. Pipe all the way around the edge of the plastic so that the base is hidden.
- After the faux whipped cream has dried a bit, add any other additional details such as a straw, fake candies, sprinkles, cinnamon, etc. If you are adding a straw or cinnamon stick, cut or break them so that they short enough.
- Allow the faux whipped cream to dry overnight. Spackling usually takes about 30 minutes to dry, but this is a large amount mixed with paint, so give it overnight to go completely dry all the way through.
- Add a coat of clear spray sealant. Allow to dry.
- Cut a piece of cork material slightly smaller than the top edge of the mug and glue it to the bottom of the plastic base of your faux topper so that it has an inset lip and won’t slide off of the mug.
- Place the topper on the mug as décor, photo prop or as a fun way to give a gift! Enjoy!