- Wooden Board (can get at any craft store – choose one that you like)
- Drill with 1/8” drill bit
- Craft Wood small wooden hearts for hanging tags (as many as you need for your family’s birthdays) You can also buy wooden circles.
- Eye pins assorted sizes
- Jump rings assorted sizes
- Small eye hooks (12) for each month
- Craft paper in various colors/patterns
- Glue (stick glue)
- Small tip sharpie
- Scissors (or a stamp in the shape of the wood hanging tabs)
- French cleat for hanging
- Sticker transfer of vinyl letters or you can use a stencil and paint the letters on
- or you can use a wood burning etching tool to carve in the design you want
- Paint or stain (if desired)
- Wood Burning tool (if desired)
- Needle nose pliers
Choose your layout. For a beginner, try using vinyl letters or a stencil. You can also use a sticker.
Paint or stain your wood the color you would like it.
Apply your stencils, wood burning or sticker for the lettering.
Apply stickers or write in your own writing each month. If you are using a
smaller piece of wood, you may need to abbreviate the months. Print these
months at the bottom of your sign.
Seal the wood using a stain with sealer, or even Mod Podge.
Take your wooden hearts (or circles) and drill a hole in the middle top with
your 1/8” drill bit. Repeat this step on the bottom of the heart ONLY if there
is one more heart to hang below it.
Add craft paper to these hearts using glue. You can also use Washi tape or
leave the hearts plain wood color, or paint each one a different color.
Use your small eye hooks (12) for each month and screw them into the
bottom of the wood below each month. If this is hard to do by hand, you may
want to consider pre-drilling a smaller hole and screwing in the eye hooks.
Layout all of the birthdays you have to remember, and write one person on
each heart with only the number of the birthday
Set these aside and arrange each month in their own pile in order from 1 to
Use your eye pins to create a loop between the heart and the eye hooks. You
can bend this metal using your needle-nose pliers.
Attach these eye pins through the top hole in your wooden heart and use the
jump rings if needed. Continue the process down so that you’ve hung all of
the family members’ birthday in each month category.
Apply your French cleat to the back of the sign and attach the second part of
the French cleat to the wall where you intend to hang it.
Hang it up and be grateful that you finally have a reminder of everyone’s
Check out more fun DIY projects at the Home & Family Pinterest Page
Get more from Paige at PaigeHemmis.com