Ken Wingard shares envelope decorating tips and techniques, he learned from the artists at Hallmark headquarters in Kansas City.
DIY Envelope Decorating
TO CREATE THE GIFT TAG AND TWINE DECORATION:
- Twine in desired colors
- Gift tags in large and medium or small and medium depending on envelope size
- Paint pens
TO CREATE THE WAX SEAL DECORATION:
- Wax seal melting kit
- Wax seal stamp
- Live botanicals like evergreen sprigs or hypericum berries
- Ribbon or twine
- Hot glue gun and glue sticks or fabri-tac
TO CREATE THE GIFT TAG AND TWINE DECORATION
- Seal the envelope.
- Use paint pens to draw a beautiful design on the gift tags, the small one can be placed on the opening front side of the envelope and the larger one on the back. PRO TIP: If you are mailing these you can write the address on the larger gift tag on the back of the envelope!
- Glue each of the tags onto the envelope, the larger one on the back and the smaller one on the opening front side. Make sure the paint is dry before attaching. PRO TIP: If you’d like to tie the twine onto the gift tags leave the top unglued so you can attach later.
- On one side of the envelope, draw the design you’d like to create with the twine on the envelope with fabri-tac.
- Lay the twine into the fabri-tac design and press until secure. Cut the twine excessively long so that you can continue the design on the other side of the envelope without a cut. PRO-TIP: Leave the ends extra-long and unglued if you want to tie the twine onto the gift tags
- Flip the envelope over, draw the desired design in fabri-tac, lay the twine in.
- If desired, tie each end of the twine onto the corresponding gift tag.
- Allow the glue to dry for 24 hours, then send or drop off!
TO CREATE THE WAX SEAL DECORATION
- Seal the envelope.
- If you’d like to attach decorative ribbon or twine do so now and secure in place with glue.
- Start to heat the wax according to the kit’s directions
- Cut a botanical sprig and place where you’d like. PRO TIP: If you’re mailing your cards, just stick to ribbon. The botanicals won’t make it through the mail.
- Once the wax is liquid, pour a dollop in place and allow it to cool for about 5 seconds before pressing the seal stamp in. Give the seal about 10-15 seconds until the wax has cooled enough to hold the shape of the stamp.
- Allow all the glue and wax to set, then send or drop off!