Orly Shani is taking an ordinary lampshade and transforming it into a whimsical Christmas Tree Collar.
DIY Drum Christmas Tree Collar
- Drum lampshade
- Small wooden knobs
- Red paint
- Black paint
- Gold paint
- Gold cording
- Masking tape
- E6000 or super glue
- Soft tape measure
- Paintbrush if using brush- on acrylic paint
- Paint the lampshade a base color of red or other desired color. Set aside to dry.
- Paint the knobs gold. Set aside to dry.
- Create the black border on the top and bottom of the drum. Use masking tape to tape off the borer about 2” from the bottom and top edges. Paint black and allow to dry. PRO TIP: When painting the border, you will have more control with brush on paint, the overspray from spray paint may get on the red base area if you’re not careful.
- Space out and mark the placement of the knobs with chalk. You can use a soft tape measure to space or just your hand!
- Adhere the knobs in place. Use e6000 or super glue. Allow the glue to set according to the directions. PRO TIP: If you want to skip the knobs you can just glue the cording directly onto the lampshade with fabric glue.
- Add the gold cording. Knot the end of the cording around a knob, wrap the cording around the knob diagonal from the first tie off. Wrap around so that it crosses over itself and continue to wrap around each knob diagonal from the last until you’ve gone all the way around. Cut the cording and tie off. PRO TIP: The side with the tie offs is the backside, so you don’t see where you’ve knotted.
- Place it, set your tree into the collar and enjoy!