- Shadow box - shatterproof or plexiglass
- Power drill
- Fine blade for jigsaw
- Forstner bit 1/2”
- Standard drill bit 1/2”
- Masking tape
- Acrylic paint that matches the shadowbox
- Small paintbrush
- X-Acto knife
- Krylon Sea Glass spray paint - multiple colors for ombre effect
1. Remove the backing of the shadow box and take the top inside panel off. Discard. *Don’t throw away your backing, just the piece from the top. *
2. Mark the middle of your shadow box on top.
*Make sure it is centered from the outside edges. *
3. Measure how large you would like your opening to fit money, it should be at least 3” long. Mark the edges with a pencil.
4. Use a 1/2” forstner bit, drill two holes at the outer edges of your pencil line.
5. Use your 1/2” standard drill bit to define the holes if necessary.
6. Then grab your jigsaw and saw both sides so that it creates a nice opening.
7. Sand lightly.
8. Paint the exposed particle board the same color as your shadow box.
To apply the paint
1. Cover the entire front of the shadow box in masking tape.
2. Print your graphic.
3. Spray adhesive the back of the paper with your graphic on it to the masking tape. *Make sure your graphic is facing up. *
4. Use an X-Acto knife to cut out the portions you want to paint.
5. Spray a light layer of your lightest color.
6. A little lower, spray your mid tone.
7. Slightly below that, your darkest color to complete the ombré effect.
8. Peel all the tape off after the paint has fully dried.
9. Put the backing on your shadowbox and enjoy!