- 1-1.5 yards of fabric (depending on your measurements and desired length)
- 1 full-length zipper of your desired skirt length (double separating if possible)
- Sewing machine
- Measuring tape
- Cheese grater
1) Take your measurements
2) Add 1" to each measurement and then divide by 4.
3) For example: Waist is 30" 30 + 1 = 31 31 / 4 = 7.75"
4) Now fold your fabric in half (top to bottom) and then fold in half lengthwise.
5) This should create a double layer of fabric on the fold.
6) With your chalk, mark your length.
7) Plot your measurements on the fabric, always starting at the fold. (When you unfold your fabric you will have two even front and back pieces)
8) Mark your waist, then 3" down your hip, then approximately 10" down, mark your widest thigh measurement.
9) Now mark your knee measurement
10)Draw a line connecting all the points together as soft and gradual as possible.
11) Cut your fabric.
12) When you open the fold you will have 2 identical front and back pieces.
13) Flip them face to face, pin and sew one side together.
14) Now pin your zipper on the other side and sew. (I recommend an exposed zipper for this. It's easier to sew and will look really cool)
15) Fray your hem and waist for a distressed look. (This also allows you to skip the actual hem and waistband sewing part)
16) Aggressively rub your denim on the cheese grater to create the desired distressed look. You'll stop, assess and start again many times to create the perfect look.
Check out more fun DIY projects at the Home & Family Pinterest Page
Follow Orly on Twitter @OrlyShani