- Paper bags
- Wooden skewer
- Double-sided tape
1. Cut butcher’s paper strips to be roughly 3x18.
2. Roll each strip on the diagonal around the wooden skewer. Secure the end with a glue stick.
3. These tubes will serve as the basket’s vertical supports.
4. Line the perimeter of one hardboard with double sided tape. Evenly space and attach the paper tubes to the tape with 1” of the tube on the board.
5. Apply E6000 to hardboard and paper tubes then top with second hardboard.
6. While the base dries create more paper strips to be roughly 3x36. Create the paper tubes with wooden skewer.
7. Once base is dry, begin weaving. The technique being used is over one, under one.
8. Anchor the first tube by folding about 5” then weaving that portion in the front on one of the vertical supports then behind the next. Then weave the longer end of the paper to the opposite direction. Continue weaving until your run out of horizontal weaving.
Tip: If you run out the horizontal tubing, adhere another paper tube to the existing tube with E6000.
9. To finish off the basket, bend the vertical support and weave into basket. Continue until all vertical supports have been weaved into basket. Secure with a dot of glue.
10. Coat basket with clear spray varnish.
11. Cut off all hardware on belt as well as side with holes. Cut what’s left of the middle portion of the belt in half.
12. On the underside of the belt, mark the location for the 2 screws on each end of the belt strips. Drill a ¼” hole at each mark.
13. Place a finishing washer and screw on the front side over the hole.
14. Attach handles to outside of basket by inserting the machine screws in between two layers of the woven basket. Screw and end cap onto each screw.
15. Display in your home!