Orly Shani shows how to take cleaning from lame to game.
- 1” plywood cut to or purchased at 24” x 24”
- Basketball hoop
- Basketball hoop hardware:
- Finishing washers
- Painter’s tape
- Stain rags
- Drill bit to size of bolts for hoop
- French cleat
- ¾” screws
- Hot glue gun and glue sticks
DIY Basketball Hoop Hamper - Home & Family
- If you are cutting your own backboard do so first. Sand any rough edges.
- Tape the backboard squares on.
- Stain the backboard. Allow to dry. PRO TIP: When applying the stain around the taped edges, wipe away from the tape to create less bleeding underneath.
- Place basketball hoop on board and mark where you need to drill through the board to insert the bolts
- Drill through the backboard where bolts are needed.
- Place the hoop and attach with bolts, washers and finishing washers. Place one washer just behind the head on the front side of the board then feed it through the hole in the board. Add a washer to the back, a finishing washer on top of that then screw the nut onto the bolt as tight as possible. Repeat with each bolt. PRO TIP: Use pliers to tighten the nut on each bolt as much as possible.
- Cover the end of each bolt with hot glue on the back to create a cap. This prevents the bolts from damaging the wall.
- Attach the top half of the French cleat to the back of the backboard near the top. Attach the other to the wall where you’d like to hang.
- Attach the net to the hoop then place the hamper and enjoy!