Maria Provenzano’s DIY has us all on track for Christmas.
DIY Advent Train
- Wooden craft boxes in various sizes
- Paper mache cones in various sizes
- 2” wooden discs
- Wooden cylinders
- Short cardboard roll
- Label paper
- Metal tag numbers
- Spray paint in desired colors like:
- Masking tape
- Cotton balls
- Hot glue gun and glue sticks
- Optional to create the train track:
- Popsicle sticks
- Brown paint
- Black or gray yarn
- Stack and arrange the boxes into your train shape to figure out the numbering of your advent calendar and which boxes should be painted what color.
- Paint each of the wooden pieces and cones to the desired color. If you are painting some of the boxes two-tone use masking tape to tape off for the second color after the first has completely dried. If you’re making the track, paint the sticks now as well. Set everything painted aside to dry.
- Print out the numbers on label paper and cut out.
- Glue all of the boxes in place on each car to create the train. Only glue the boxes of each car together, not the whole thing so you can position the train in a curve around the tree.
- Glue the smokestacks onto the top of the train.
- Add the smoke to the smokestack. Pull apart some cotton balls and place in the top of each stack.
- Line up the popsicle sticks with two inches in between each, place dabs of glue 1” inset from the ends then lay the yarn into the glue. Allow to dry.
- Place the label numbers on the boxes of the train.
- Glue the metal numbers onto the cone trees.
- Place the tracks around the tree, arrange the train and trees, place treats inside and enjoy!