Brandi Milloy is combining cooking and crafting with her Faux Candy Apples.
DIY Faux Candy Apples
Home Decor, Kids
Brandi Milloy Makes Faux Candy Apples - Home & Family
DIY FAUX CANDY APPLE MATERIALS:
- Faux apples
- Craft paint in white and caramel
- Faux twigs or sticks
- Corn starch
- Mod podge
- Vessel to mix faux candy coating in
- Mixing utensil for candy coating
- Corn cob guinea pig bedding for faux nuts
- Faux sprinkles or microfoam balls in desired colors
- Wax paper
- Hot glue gun and glue sticks
DIY FAUX CANDY APPLE INSTRUCTIONS:
- Remove the apple stem, just give it a couple twists and it will fall right out.
- Stick the twig or stick in where you just removed the stem then twist it around to make the hole a little bigger. Remove the stick to apply the faux candy mixture.
- To create the faux candy coating, thoroughly mix the either the caramel or white craft paint with some mod podge then add in some corn starch to the paint mixture to thicken it up. PRO TIP: The corn starch is not absolutely necessary, but the apple looks a little more realistic when the faux candy coating has a thicker viscosity.
- Either drizzle the faux candy coating onto the apple or dip the apple into it on top of a wax paper covered surface. Set “candied” apple on wax paper.
- Sprinkle the faux nuts and or sprinkles on while the paint mixture is still wet.
- Place the stick back in the hole where the stem was. If you feel it is loose, remove the stick, add a dab of hot glue and place it back in for extra security.
- Allow the apples to dry completely, overnight should be good.
- Place into your décor and enjoy!