- Soda cans (empty and rinsed clean)
- Glue gun/glue sticks
- Paint brushes
- Paint (acrylic and/or spray paint)
- Can opener
- Tin snips
- Heavy duty scissors
- Wire cutter
- Card stock (or paper)
- Permanent marker
- Gloves (work gloves or gardening gloves will work – plastic gloves will not work)
- OPTIONAL: Beads and craft wire
1. Start by making sure your soda cans are clean and dry.
2. Take your can opener and cut off the top of the soda can. Set the tab of the soda aside because you WILL need to use these later.
3. Using tin snips, make your initial cut in the soda can. Then with scissors, cut the can all the way down vertically. We are going to use the part of the soda can that is flat, meaning we cut it after the little bend in the can on the top and the bottom. So cut off the top and bottom of the can horizontally.
4. Lay out your new piece of sheet metal.
OPTIONAL: If you want to wait until the aluminum is flat, then leave your pieces under a few books overnight. Then in the morning, you will have flat pieces. This makes it easier to draw on, but it’s not 100% necessary.
5. Make a template of what kind of flower you would like out of card stock or paper. Draw it out first then cut it out with scissors. If you don’t trust your own drawing, find an image on the computer that you like and use that!
6. Place them on the metal and trace around the template with a permanent marker.
7. Cut out the pattern with scissors. Feel free to make as many layers as you would like and cut them out as well.
8. Lay the bottom layer down, add hot glue to the middle and add your next layer. Keep going until you have all the layers of your flower complete.
9. Add any color you would like to your flower. For some of the flowers, you can use a chip brush dipped in acrylic paint. Then dab with paper towel to give it a sort of sponged-on look.
10. Spray paint the larger flowers and add a bit of color to the edges to give it a little depth. You can add a bead to the center of the flower by attaching it with hot glue. You can use craft wire and a round bead to make it look like the stamen of a larger flower
11. Keep the tab of the soda can, so this can be used to create a hanger on the back! Just turn the flower over, add hot glue and hold the tab in place until the glue sets up.