Flannel, apple picking, hiking with your favorite four-legged friend! We’ve compiled the must-have Fall Bucket List for 2020. Crafts, recipes, outdoor activities, we’ve got you covered! Don’t forget to share what you are doing by using #FallHarvest across social!
Tailgate at Your House
Ready to celebrate and root on your favorite team from the comfort of your home? Maria Provenzano makes it easy to tailgate with this DIY Tailgate Travel Case. Check out the directions to make your own!
- Wooden Crates
1. Stack one wooden crate on top of another, facing upward.
2. Following the instructions on the latch's instructions, screw them across the top of one crate and bottom of the other. Do this twice on each side so that it can latch firmly together on both sides.
3. Stack a third crate on top of the other two crates but this time facing downward. This will create a larger "compartment."
4. Attach two more latches on each side of the new top crate and bottom crate.
5. Keeping all the latches closed, turn the entire 'travel case’ sideways and add the handles where they are most comfortable.
6. Paint the entire thing to your favorite sports team colors!
Cozy Up in Warm Clothing
Unpack your fall flannel and snuggle in for the Follow Me to Daisy Hill premiere on Hallmark Channel on September 19th at 9pm/8c. The movie centers around Jo (Cindy Busby) who realizes that her family's general store in Daisy Hills is losing money. Her father Duke calls in a favor for help, which turns out to be Jo's ex-boyfriend, Blake (Marshall Williams).
Check out the Fall Leaves
Head to your local park and go Fall leaf peeping. So many beautifully colored leaves to discover and a great activity to do with your four-legged friend!
Roast marshmallows over a fire pit and then go inside to watch Falling for Look Lodge on Hallmark Channel, September 26 at 9pm/8c. The movie, which stars Clark Backo and Jonathan Keltz, centers around Lily, whose dreams of being a hotel event coordinator are fulfilled when she's given the chance to help plan a wedding.
Enjoy your favorite pumpkin spice beverage
Try out these delicious recipes for Crock Pot Pumpkin Spice Latte and Pumpkin White Hot Chocolate!
Ingredients for Crock Pot Pumpkin Spice Latte
- 3 cups half and half
- 3 cups whole milk
- 6 cups strong coffee
- 1 ½ cup pumpkin puree
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup sweetened condensed milk
- ½ cup maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- Cinnamon stick; optional (for more of a spice flavor)
Directions for Crock Pot Pumpkin Spice Latte
1. Whisk all ingredients together in a crock pot and cook on high for 1-2 hours
2. This can be kept warm in the crock pot for a party
3. This recipe can also be cut in half
4. For a thicker, creamier drink, use all half and half; for a lighter drink, use all milk
5. Flavors can be adjusted as necessary; use more coffee for a stronger drink; add more syrup for a sweeter drink, etc.
Ingredients for Pumpkin White Hot Chocolate
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups half and half
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 ½ teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 12oz white chocolate, chopped (a 12 oz bag of white chocolate chips can also be used)
- Cinnamon stick and whipped cream to garnish; optional
Directions for Pumpkin White Hot Chocolate
1. Whisk together all the ingredients together in a saucepan over medium heat
2. Cook until just starting to bubble
3. Whisk in the chopped white chocolate and stir until completely melted
4. Adjust flavors as needed
5. Pour into mugs and garnish with whipped cream and/or cinnamon stick if desired
Take a Walk
Take your dog for a walk in the leaves, and don’t forget a Greenies treat, because it helps to freshen breath and clean teeth.
Whip Up a Hearty Stew
Warm up with hearty stew featuring colorful fall vegetables.
- 1 pound lean boneless chuck roast, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- ¾ teaspoon salt, divided
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 10 ounces cremini mushrooms, trimmed and quartered
- 1 medium-size onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary, or 1 teaspoon dried
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 2 ½ cups low-sodium beef broth
- ½ cup whole (un-pearled) farro
- 3 medium size carrots, cut into ½ inch thick rounds
- ¼ cup fresh parsley leaves
1. Sprinkle the beef with ¼ teaspoon each of the salt and pepper. Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large, heavy pot over medium-high heat and cool the beef until it is browned, about 5 minutes. Transfer the meat to a plate.
2. Add another tablespoon of oil to the pot, then add the mushrooms and cook until they release their liquid and begin to brown, 5 minutes. (Add a tablespoon or two of water to the pot if it seems too dry). Transfer the mushrooms to another plate.
3. Lower the heat to medium, add the remaining tablespoon of oil to the pot, then add the onion and cook until it is softened, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and rosemary and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Stir in the tomato paste and then the wine. Bring to a boil and allow to reduce until the liquid is reduced by about half, 2 minutes. Add the broth, return the browned meat with any accumulated juices to the pot, and bring to a boil. Lower the heat to low, cover, and simmer for 1 hour. Place the farro in a bowl and add enough warm water to cover it. Let the farro soak as the stew simmers.
4. Once the meat is tender, drain the farro and stir it into the pot, then add the carrots, the mushrooms with their accumulated liquid, and the remaining ½ teaspoon of salt and ¼ teaspoon of pepper. Return to a boil and then simmer, covered, until the farro and the carrots are tender, 30-35 minutes more. Season with additional salt and pepper to taste. Serve garnished with the parsley.
5. The stew will keep in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days, or in the freezer for 3 months.
Enjoy a horseback ride as Shayna and Grady do in Country at Heart premiering on Hallmark Channel on October 3. The movie - which stars Jessy Schram, Niall Matter and Lucas Bryant - centers around a struggling country singer who meets a Nashville songwriter in need of inspiration. Teaming up to write a song, their work gets complicated but results in both a hit song...and true love.
Make a Pumpkin Pie
Enjoy this sweet treat that you can never have enough of.
Ingredients for Crust
- 1/2 box (12 cookies) graham crackers, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
Ingredients for Chocolate Layer
- 5 ounces dark chocolate, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
Ingredients for Pumpkin Filling
- 1 1/2 cups pumpkin puree
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- pinch salt
Ingredients for Marshmallow Topping
- 2 1/4 teaspoons unflavored gelatin (from 1 packet)
- 1/2 cup cold water, divided
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup corn syrup, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. To prepare crust, combine graham cracker crumbs and sugar. Add butter and stir with a fork until mixture resembles wet sand. Firmly press crumb mixture into the bottom of a 9-inch pie pan. Bake for 4 to 5 minutes or until just set. Let cool slightly.
3. Combine chopped chocolate and cream in a saucepan. Stir over low heat until chocolate is melted and smooth. Pour into crust and spread into an even layer in the bottom.
4. To prepare pumpkin filling, whisk pumpkin with eggs until smooth. Whisk in sugar, cream, milk, spices, and salt until evenly incorporated. Pour into crust, taking care not to overfill the crust (depending on the size of your pie pan you may have a little bit leftover).
5. Bake for 50 to 60 minutes or until center is just set. Remove from oven and let cool completely, then refrigerate for 1 to 2 hours or overnight. Take out approximately 1 hour before making marshmallow topping to allow any condensation to evaporate.
6. To prepare marshmallow topping, place 1/4 cup cold water in a small dish. Sprinkle gelatin over and let sit for 5 minutes to soften.
7. Combine sugar, remaining 1/4 cup water, and 1/4 cup corn syrup in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, and boil until mixture reaches 240 degrees F on a candy thermometer.
8. Place remaining 1/4 cup corn syrup in the bowl of a stand mixer. Microwave gelatin mixture on high for 5 to 10 seconds or until completely melted, then add to bowl with corn syrup. Turn mixer to low speed, and slowly drizzle in hot sugar syrup. When all the syrup has been added, increase mixer speed to medium-high, and mix for 5 minutes. Add vanilla extract and beat on the highest speed for another 5 minutes, until marshmallow is opaque, glossy, and tripled in volume.
9. Working quickly, dollop marshmallow mixture onto pie, and use an offset spatula to spread and shape it into a mound. Let sit for 20 to 30 minutes to allow the marshmallow to set, then gently toast with a kitchen torch until golden brown and blistered. Serve at room temperature. (Tip: to slice, first run a knife under hot water for 30 seconds; then quickly dry and use it to slice your pie. The warm knife will cut through the marshmallow and chocolate layers much cleaner than a cool knife).
Decorate for Halloween
Be the envy of your neighborhood with these spooktacular decorations.
- Beach balls
- Paper plates/bowls
- Floral Wire
Directions for Eyeballs
1. Use either white or yellow beach balls. You can easily spray paint a white beach ball yellow as well. It’s convenient to get a 12-pack of beach balls online or at your local discount store.
2. Depending on the size of your beach ball, you’re going to add either a paper plate or paper bowl.
3. Paint the paper bowl desired eye color.
4. Paint rim in black and pupil black.
5. Use fabri tac to apply the paper bowl.
6. Secure eyeballs in bushes using floral wire (wrapped around the ball insert to the bush branch).
Materials for Cobweb
- Trash bags
Directions for Cobweb
1. You are going to do a very similar process to how you would make a snowflake.
2. Cut your trash bag into a square, fold square into triangle, fold again into a narrower triangle, fold one more time into a very narrow triangle.
3. Use tape to hold triangle in place.
4. Cut through the loose edges of triangle all the way to the folded seam but don’t cut through the seam.
5. These are great for the arches on your house.
Materials for Spider
- Gallon jug
- Styrofoam Balls
Directions for Spider
1. Wrap empty milk jug in black masking tape.
2. Use foam insulation tubes for the spider legs.
3. Attach 4 foam tubes to jug at their center point with more tape.
4. Cut out small diamond foam where the spider leg joint should be and secure with tape.
5. Decorate spider body by adding construction paper diamond cutouts and spray paint Styrofoam green for the eyes.
Sip Hot Apple Cider
Nothing is better than cozying up indoors with hot apple cider!
- 1 apple
- 2 teaspoons whole cloves
- 1 orange, thinly sliced
- 2 quarts apple cider
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoon whole allspice berries
- 12 ea whole star anise
- 1 cup dark rum
- Cinnamon sticks, garnish
Stud the apple with the cloves. In a medium pot, combine the studded apple and remaining ingredients except the rum. Slowly bring to a simmer over low heat. Simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and add the rum. Discard the apple. Ladle into mugs and garnish each with a cinnamon stick. Serve immediately.
Create a Fall Centerpiece
Get inspired by the Hallmark Channel original movie, My Best Friend's Bouquet by creating a beautiful centerpiece for your kitchen table. Don’t miss the movie which stars Chaley Rose and Nathan Witte on Hallmark Channel October 10th at 9pm/8c.
The fresh fall scents including pumpkin, spices and sun-dried leaves can be preserved with this fragrant DIY Fall Potpourri.
- Any type of flowers & stems
- Dried oranges
- Rubber band
- Place to hang
- Essential Oils
- Plastic wrap
STEPS TO AIR DRY FLOWERS:
1. Remove the leaves from flowers so it can dry faster.
2. Select different colored flowers
3. Bundl the flowers with rubber bands
4. Separate when hanging
5. Hang them up to dry
STEPS FOR POTPOURRI:
1. Blend flowers, leaves, and a few dried oranges in a bowl
2. Next, add essential oil to some dried stems, bark, and seeds.
3. They will hold the scent for the potpourri as a "fixative!"
4. Add 6 drops of Rosewood, 3 drops of Sage, and 2 drops of cinnamon oil for a Woodland fragrance.
5. Cover with plastic and set aside for a few days for the fragrance to lock in, or use immediately, taking time to refresh the scent as needed!
Toss the Football in your Backyard
Gather the family and toss the football around for a fun activity on a beautiful fall day. Later, tune into Sweet Autumn, which airs on Hallmark Channel on Saturday, October 17th at 9pm/8c.
Go for a Fall Harvest Hike
Grab your four-legged pal and explore the great outdoors on a hike. Don't forget a Greenies treat or two! Your dog will thank you later!