How to Grow your own Gourmet Garlic
• Container- At least 12" deep and as large as you need for the amount of garlic you want to grow.
Garlic needs to be spaced 4 to 5" inches apart in a row. Each row should be 10- 12 inches apart.
• Kelp Liquid to soak your cloves before planting
• Potting soil, well draining and rich in compost.
• Garlic bulbs that are full and healthy looking.
• Mulch to cover bulbs – use more mulch in very cold climates
Open bulbs and separate the cloves. Don't remove the skin. Each clove is a new plant.
Soak cloves in liquid kelp overnight before planting for maximum vigor and health.
Plant pointy side up. 2"-inches deep in mild areas, 4"-inches deep in cold.
Cover with soil and add mulch to insulate the bulb from extreme cold.
Place in sunny area- 5 hours+.
Water when soil dries.
Purchase bulbs at groworganic.com, $18.00 per pound
Check out Shirley Bovshow at foodiegardener.com.
Return to episode guide >>