Mark's DIY Picnic Table Cooler
Mark shows us how to install a gutter into a picnic table to act as a cooler for drinks. It's perfect for backyard BBQ's or outdoor parties. This project isn't hard, but it's fairly involved. With two people, it will take 30-45 minutes.
2½ inch screws
Sheet metal screws
A couple 2X4's
4 inch gutter
1. Flip table over.
2. Remove any diagonal braces for the underside that attach to the center of the table.
3. Remove center cleat.
4. Just inside the legs on each end of the table add 2x4 cleats. Attach with 2 ½ inch screws, but not in the centerboard.
5. Measure and cut 4 inch gutter. Caulk end caps.
6. Add 2x4's along the length of the table on either side of the center board. Use gutter to measure distance. Attach 2x4's with 2 ½ inch screws.
7. Mark centerboard along cleats for cutting.
8. Turn table right side up and pry off center board.
9. Cut removed board to size. This will be your removable centerboard.
10. Flip table over.
11. Take the two cut end pieces and screw them back in place.
12. Flip table over.
13. Attach rain gutter with small sheet metal screws.
14. Drill drainage hole in bottom of gutter.
15. Drill hole in cover board to make it easy to remove.
Make sure you visit us on Pinterest at http://pinterest.com/hallmarkchannel.
Return to episode guide >>