Yakitori Chicken Meatballs
- 1 LB ground chicken
- 1 green onion (chopped)
- 1 TBSP soy sauce
- 1/2 TBSP grated ginger root
- 2 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 1/2 cup sake
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup mirin
- 1 lemon (zest)
- 1/2 TSP chili flakes
- 1 green onion (white part of onion)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 TSP corn starch
- 1 TBSP honey
1. In a large mixing bowl add in the ground chicken, chopped green onion, soy sauce, grated ginger, and garlic.
2. Mix together then start forming your meatballs. (A tablespoon of ground chicken forms 16-18 meatballs)
3. Place the meatballs on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper so they don’t stick.
4. Bake on 350 degrees for about 5-7 minutes or until the meatballs are solid. (quickly bake so they can take shape and won’t fall apart on the grill.)
5. While meatballs are in the oven start making your sauce. In a small saucepan on medium heat add in the sake, soy sauce, mirin, lemon zest, chili flakes, green onion, garlic, corn starch, and honey.
6. Cook until thick and smooth. Once the sauce is done remove from heat and let it sit while you grill the meatballs.
7. Once the meatballs are done in the oven start sliding them onto a skewer. 3 meatballs per skewer. You can either grill on a stove griddle or on a grill.
8. Place the skewers on the grill and brush them with sauce while they are cooking .
9. Save some sauce for dipping as well. Once they are done, top with more green onions.