Meatballs with Mushroom and Spinach Gravy
- 12 ounces 96% lean ground beef (such as Laura’s Lean)
- 1 cup finely chopped puffed brown rice (such as Arrowhead Mills)
- 4 cups unsalted beef stock (such as Kitchen Basics)
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 4 cups sliced cremini mushrooms
- 1 cup thinly sliced onion
- 8 cups washed spinach
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot, dissolved in 2 teaspoons of the stock
- 1 ounce Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, finely grated on a Microplane grater
1. Place the beef in a large mixing bowl, pushing it to one side. Add the rice and 1. cups of the stock to the other side of the bowl. Season with salt and pepper and let the rice absorb the stock, about 1 minute. Using an electric hand mixer, mix the beef into the rice until homogeneous, about 1 minute. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Form the mixture into 16 equal-size meatballs.
2. Coat a large nonstick skillet with olive oil cooking spray and place over medium- high heat. Once the skillet is hot, add the meatballs and brown on one side, about 1 minute. Turn the meatballs over and brown the opposite sides, about 30 seconds. Transfer the meatballs to a holding plate.
3. Spray the skillet again with cooking spray, and place back on the heat. Add the mushrooms and onion and cook until browned and softened, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the spinach and cook just to wilt, about 1 minute; then add the remaining stock and the arrowroot slurry and bring to a simmer while whisking until thickened. Add the meatballs and simmer until cooked through, 6-8 minutes. Spoon the meatballs and mushroom mixture into four bowls, distributing them equally; sprinkle with cheese and serve!
Tip: Include some no-sugar added dried cranberries if you want to liven things up a bit for an additional 20 calories per tablespoon.
Check out more delicious recipes at the Home & Family Pinterest Page