Rita Moreno’s Cuban Picadillo
- 3 lbs ground beef
- ½ onion, chopped
- 2 tbs garlic, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cups raisins
- 2 (8 oz.) jars green olives, drained and chopped
- 2 (6 oz.) cans tomato paste
- ½ cup water
- ½ bunch cilantro
- Jumbo jalapeño stuffed olives, sliced
- Powdered cumin
- 1 large can Muir Glen roasted, puréed tomatoes
- 1/4 cup achiote seeds (Annatto)
- Brown the ground beef in a Dutch oven or large pot over medium-high heat until crumbly and no longer pink, about 10 minutes.
- Pour off any excess grease, then stir in the onion and garlic; cook for 2 minutes before adding the red pepper, green pepper, raisins, olives, tomato paste, water, and cilantro, jalapeno stuffed olives, cumin, tomatoes and achiote seeds.
- Bring the mixture to a simmer, then reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer 10 minutes, or until the peppers have cooked to your liking.
Be sure use very good olive oil with strong green flavor.
I like to use red, green and yellow bell peppers in tiny dice cause it looks like confetti!
Get more great recipes and crafts by visiting us on Pinterest at pinterest.com/homeandfamilytv and follow "Home & Family" on Twitter @homeandfamilytv and Facebook. Plus, check out our YouTube channel for backstage videos.