- 2 large or 3 medium apples, cored and sliced crosswise into ¼-inch slices
- 1 2/3 cups whole spelt flour (or 1 ¾ cups whole wheat pastry flour)*
- 1 teaspoon aluminum-free baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- pinch of ground nutmeg
- 2 cups buttermilk or plain, unsweetened kefir**
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 Tablespoon 100% pure maple syrup
- 4 Tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- Melted, unrefined coconut oil for brushing the griddle
- Preheat a griddle to 400 degrees or medium heat.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon in a large mixing bowl.
- In a medium bowl or 4-6 cup measuring cup, whisk together the buttermilk, eggs, vanilla, maple syrup and melted butter until well blended. (A blender can do this easily, too.)
- Pour the wet mixture into the dry ingredients and stir until just combined.
- Grease the griddle with a little coconut oil.
- Dip the apple slices one at a time in the batter and turn to coat. I like to use a toothpick or a wooden skewer to do this.
- Cook dipped apple slices like you would regular pancakes, flipping once the bottoms are golden and the edges are dry. Cook until the second side is golden brown and the pancake is cooked through.
A blender will whisk together the buttermilk, eggs, vanilla, maple syrup and melted butter fast
Grease the griddle with a little coconut oil
Dip the apple slices one at a time in the batter
Use a toothpick or a wooden skewer to dip apples
Get more delicious recipes at the Home & Family Pinterest Page
Check out more recipes and classes from Pamela at PamelaSalzman.com