1) Disassemble your current table top
2) Set in your ¼” plywood piece into place and secure it with screws (you may be able to use the existing screws from the old table)
3) Take your scrap pieces of wood and paint them, stain them or add paper to them.
4) Once your scrap pieces are dry, sand them back using sand paper to your desired look.
5) Lay out your scrap pieces on your plywood and arrange them (similar to putting together a puzzle). You can move them around until you find a nice pattern that you like. You may need to cut down some of the scrap boards to fit. You can do this with a hand saw, circular saw or miter saw.
6) Once your layout is set, take your hot glue to the back side of the scraps and glue them to the plywood. You can be generous with your glue and push into place
7) Repeat this until all pieces of your wood are set.
8) Add a top piece of glass to the entire frame, covering your coffee table. You will want this measurement to be to the outer-most frame. Use glass tabs (little rubber tabs) to hold the glass into place.
9) Voila! Enjoy your new table with an old world look!