1. Measure the window that you would like to dress. This will determine the size of the tension rod you will need.
2. Determine the amount of sticks you will need for the space you will have. You will need 3 sticks for every 1 inch.
3. Stack up several sticks and drill a hole in the top middle portion of the stick.
4. Lay out sticks on your drop cloth in sections. We will be doing a pink ombre affect, and we will be using 5 shades of pink. Depending on the size of your window, lay your sticks out according to the 5 shades. You can do one pattern of 5 or repeat the pattern if you have a larger window.
5. Roll or brush on the paint to the sticks in one color of pink, only about ¾ of the way up, leaving the top ¼ of the stick unpainted (with the hole at the top, unpainted).
6. Continue until all 5 colors are painted.
7. Let dry.
8. Turn all of the sticks over and repeat the process on the back of the sticks since both sides will be visible.
9. Hang your tension rod. It will be much easier to complete this process in place, than trying to move it from a work table. This will reduce any tendency of the chain to tangle.
10. Take a string of silver chain and wrap it around the top of the tension rod. You will want all of your sticks in a random pattern, so adjust the length according to your preference.
11. At the top of the chain, attach a jump ring to hold it in place.
12. As the chain hangs down, cut the chain where you would like your stick to hang.
13. Thread the chain through the stick and attach a jump ring from the end of the chain back around to itself.
14. Continue this process, changing the color of the stick gradually to create the ombre affect.
15. Sit back and enjoy your new window treatment!
Check out more fun DIY projects at the Home & Family Pinterest Page