There are many variations of shakshouka. This traditional breakfast recipe has been modified by layering it over a rustic pizza dough for a delicious brunch or “breakfast” for dinner idea. This makes an extra 2 cups of tomato and pepper sauce; great tossed with pasta for a quick and easy dinner.
Prep Time: 20 mins., Cook Time: 10 mins.
- 1 14-ounce prepared pizza dough ball, thawed
- 6 tablespoons Shakshouka Seasoning Mix
- 4 tablespoons oil
- 3 tricolor bell peppers, sliced into strips
- 1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes, with juice
- 4 tablespoons Feta cheese, crumbled
- 4-6 small eggs
- Pre-heat oven to 450° F.
- Divide dough ball into 4 pieces; roll or hand stretch each into a 7-inch crust.
- Sprinkle one side of each pizza crust lightly with cornmeal and arrange, cornmeal side down, on baking sheets.
- In medium sauté pan over medium heat, add oil and peppers. Cook until tender, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and Shakshouka seasoning mix and cook over medium heat for about 20 minutes or until reduced to a thick consistency.
- Spread ½ cup sauce evenly over each pizza
- Using a spoon, make a small well in the sauce and pour one egg into each well
- Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon Feta cheese.
- Repeat with remaining crusts.
- Bake 15 minutes or until crust is golden. If egg whites are not cooked, cover pizza and let sit an additional 3 to 5 minutes, or until desired doneness.
- Cut each pizza into slices and serve immediately.