Here’s a dish that is warm and comforting–and a surprisingly hearty addition to the breakfast table. It’s a great way to warm up when the weather turns chilly.
Sausage and Sage Spaetzle
Prep Time: 15 minutes, Cook Time: 30 minutes
- 2 - 10.5 oz. packs of spaetzle
- 1 lb. lean mild sausage
- ¼ cup fresh chopped sage
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 3 cups water
- Bring water to a boil on stove top.
- Stir in 2 packs spaetzle.
- Cook over medium heat for 20 minutes or until tender.
- Remove from heat, before draining pull off 1/2 cup of the water for later use.
- On stove top, fry sausage and break into small crumbles, add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add in fresh chopped sage.
- Once sausage is fully cooked, turn heat on low and add spaetzle back into pan, stirring until well-integrated.
- Add in 4 tbsp butter and 1/2 cup heavy cream; stir until well-integrated
- Add the reserved 1/2 cup of drained water back into the pot, the starch will serve as a thickening agent.
- Mix well over low heat for approximately 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and serve.