Actress and author Ali Larter discovered her love of throwing dinner parties after giving birth to her son Teddy. In "Kitchen Revelry," Ali features two menus per month and encourages you to embrace cooking disasters. For her annual tree trimming party, she serves pancetta gougeres, or classic French puffs. Head on over to the "Home & Family" Facebook page for a bonus message from Ali.
"Bliss" My Ride with Kym Douglas
You've heard of pimping your ride, well Kym Douglas is here to "bliss" your ride to make your long commute comfortable and bearable. She decorates the interier to make it feel a bit more homey, adding flowers and a chandelier. Kym is all aflutter with adorkable headlight eye lashes. And, she also shares tricks to clean your windows and pop out dents.
Tips & Referrals:
1. Beautify your car with flowers. Car vases are available at cardecor.com.
2. Cardelier Car Chandelier, $10.99, stupid.com.
3. The Compact Car-Cush is a wedge shaped cushion with cut-outs designed to relieve and prevent back pain, numb bum, and other discomforts associated with sitting for lengthy periods. These are made by the 22-year-old, family owned "Cush Tush" business. Tush Cush is offering a special discount for "Home and Family" fans. Visit their website tushcush.com, enter the word "HALLMARK" during checkout, and you'll get $5 off your entire purchase!
4. For a "zen-like" atmosphere in your car, dab essential oils on steering wheel.
5. Before bringing your car to the shop, try using a plunger to fix those dents. 6. For effective window cleaning, use wet fabric softener sheets. 7. Purchase eye lashes for your car at carlashes.com.
Bariatric Surgery Patients Mario & Kelly Persico
Husband and wife Mario and Kelly Persico are lending one another support as they go through lifechanging bariatric surgery in tandem. After years of struggling with obesity, health concerns, and yo-yo dieting, the pair have decided to go under the knife following a wakeup call from their children. Surgeon Scott Cunneen, MD, co-director bariatric surgery at Cedars-Sinai Weight Loss, explains the procedure and the genetic and environmental components that contribute to obesity.
Bariatric surgery refers to a weight loss surgery and the "sleeve" is one of several different surgeries performed laprascopically. During a sleeve gastrectomy, a thin vertical sleeve is created by using a stapling device. This sleeve will typically hold between 50-150 millileters, or is about the size of a banana. The excised portion of the stomach is removed. The newly created gastric sleeve is able to hold a fraction of what the stomach was able to hold before. This smaller stomach sleeve restricts the amount of food you can eat before feeling full. Figures:
1. Two thirds of Americans are overweight or obese.
2. 300,000 deaths each year in U.S. are associated with obesity. 3. U.S. obesity rates tripled from 1976-2007. 4. American Medical Association recognized obesity as a disease in 2013. 5. Majority of weight loss occurs in first 12-18 months. 6. Healthy body mass index: 19-25. 7. 80% of Cedars-Sinai Weight Loss Program patients are women. 8. 40% of adults in U.S. do not participate in any physical activity. 9. Surgeon General recommends 30 minutes of physical activity per day. 10. Yo-yo dieting is very stressful on the body. 11. For 95% of people, diet alone doesn't work. Please visit cedars-sinai.edu for further details.
"The Real Housewives of Orange County's" Heather Dubrow is putting her acting chops to the test in a guest starring role on CBS' "Hawaii Five-0." Heather talks about the challenges of mastering stunts in her action-packed scenes. Some of the OC gals even showed their support, tagging along for the luau! Then, the proud mom of four teaches us to make reindeer food with oatmeal, sugar, and glitter.
Follow Heather Dubrow on Twitter @heatherdubrow.
Mark's DIY Light Painting
Mark enlightens us with an emerging form of photographic art. Using a small flashlight or spotlight to illuminate a subject in an otherwise pitch-black room, he controls the aperture size and shutter speed of a simple point and shoot camera, resulting in vibrant color images. Along with his two sons, Mark demonstrates how to draw and spell using streaks of light from glow sticks.
Chef, nutritionist, and author Christine Avanti shares healthy snacks that make great holiday gifts for under $10. As a family tradition, Christine brews a pot of New Year's Day Soup that is high in protein and lasts for eight servings. She includes recipe cards and nutrition facts on each gift tag. Then, Christine bakes a fresh-out-of-the-oven pumpkin bread.
"Small Town Big Deal" Hosts Jann Carl & Rodney Miller
Former "Entertainment Tonight" co-host Jann Carl tells Mark and Christina how she landed her dream job on "Small Town Big Deal." Now, instead of hitting the red carpet, her life is on the highway in the heartland as she travels through rural America with co-host Rodney Miller. Together, they visit hidden gems such as Shatto Milk Company, which sells milk in old fashioned glass bottles. Mark and Christina taste an assortment of milk flavors, including root beer float, cotton candy, pumpkin spice eggnog, banana, chocolate, and coffee.
"Small Town Big Deal" airs Thursdays at 9:30/8:30c on RFD-TV.
Shatto Milk offers a wide variety of flavored milk locally. Check them out at shattomilk.com.
Shirley Bovshow's DIY Cellphone Charging Station
Shirley Bovshow answers the call for drained cell phone batteries. Lend your ears to the gardening expert as she makes her DIY debut with this fun and functional cell phone charging station, designed to look like a retro phone booth. Now, all your houseguests can get juiced in one convenient location!