Ingredients for Tacos
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 small sweet yellow onion finely chopped
- 8 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1 pound shredded, chopped cooked chicken
- ¾ cup chicken stock
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- ½ tsp. chili powder
- 2 tsp. sweet Hungarian paprika
- ½ tsp. cumin
- ½ tsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 ½ tsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. Kosher salt
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
- Pinch of cayenne
- 30 wonton skins
Ingredients for Condiments
- 1 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 1 cup prepared pico de gallo
- ¾ cup chopped cilantro
- ¾ cup Mexican Cream (recipe follows)
Ingredients for Mexican Crema
- ¾ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup whole milk
- 1 tsp. lime juice
- ¼ tsp. kosher salt
Directions for Tacos
1. In a skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion and cook for 3 minutes, or until translucent. Add the garlic and saute for 1 minute. Add the chicken, the stock, and the rest of the seasonings. Bring to a low boil, turn heat down and simmer for about 20 minutes. If the chicken starts to get dry add more chicken stock. Salt and pepper to taste.
2. While the chicken is simmering make taco rack and taco shells
To make taco rack:
Using heavy duty, wide (18”), aluminum foil, tear off a sheet approximately 18” long. Fold in half. Fold, width-wise, in accordion fashion, in 2 ½” folds. This will make 3 peaks with a little left over which will act as support. Place on sheet pan.
To make taco shells:
3. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Separate Wonton skins and place on a plate. Lightly brush with olive oil on both sides. Place skins on taco rack so they evenly drape over each peak.
4. Bake in oven for approximately 3 to 4 minutes or until skins just start to brown on edges.
Remove from oven and let cool for a few minutes, set aside. Lower oven temperature to 350 degrees.
5. Using the taco rack, place the wonton shells in the valley of the peaks. Fill with seasoned chicken and top with a pinch of the shredded cheese. Place in oven for 1 minute to melt the cheese.
6. Remove tacos from oven and garnish with chopped cilantro, pico de gallo and drizzle with Mexican Crema.
7. Serve with a side salad of arugula and mixed greens tossed in a light vinaigrette.
Directions for Crema
1) Mix all ingredients together and chill for at least one hour.
2) Drizzle over tacos, enchiladas or any other Mexican style dishes.
Check out more delicious recipes at the Home & Family Pinterest Page