1. First thing start by rubbing the duck down with one teaspoon of olive oil; season the duck with salt and fresh ground pepper and place the bunch of thyme in the cavity.
2. Place the duck on a roasting rack or casserole dish with a rack.
3. Put the duck in a preheated 425 degrees oven for 12 minutes to ‘sear’ the duck.
4. Turn the oven down to 325 degrees, remove the duck and with a pastry brush, ‘paint’ the duck with the maple syrup.
5. Continue cooking the duck at 325 degrees until an internal temperature of 145 degrees. While the duck is roasting start prepping the remaining items. Once the duck is cooked hold in a warm area.
BUTTERNUT SQUASH COMPOTE:
1. In a large sauté pan over medium heat add the diced squash and one ounce of Olive Oil. Season with salt and pepper and sauté until golden brown and tender.
2. Add 2 ounces butter and the shallots, cook until tender. Then add the pepitas and the currants, adjust seasoning and reserve warm.
1. Now that all the components are done, and the duck is roasted begin by carving the duck.
2. Remove the thigh and breast; slice each into 4 to 5 pieces.
3. On a large pre-heated plate make a ‘swoosh’ of the violet mustard then place a scoop of the butternut squash compote in the center.
4. Arrange the duck breast and thighs around the compote, repeat for the remaining dishes. Serve and Enjoy!