Warm up with a delicious chili that makes 6-8 cups.
White Bean Chicken Chili
Lunch, Dinner, Chili
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 2 tablespoons oil of choice (avocado, grapeseed, olive)
- 1 white onion, chopped (2 cups)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 can (4 oz) diced green chiles (medium to hot)
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cans (15.5 oz ea) white beans, rinsed and drained
- salt and pepper to taste
- Sour cream, shredded cheese, cilantro sprigs, diced red onion, tortilla chips, and lime wedges for serving
- Season chicken on both sides with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a large (6 quart) pot over medium-high heat until shimmering. Sear chicken in batches, turning once, until golden, 7 to 8 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- Reduce heat to medium; add onion. Cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic, cumin, coriander, chili powder, smoked paprika and cook until fragrant, 1 minute more. Stir in canned chiles. Add chicken back to pot along with broth and juices, scraping up bits from the bottom of the pan. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, partially covered, until chicken is cooked through and flavors meld, about 15 minutes.
- Remove chicken to a plate and shred into bite-size pieces. Stir in chicken and beans until heated through. Taste and adjust seasoning. Divide among bowls and top with sour cream, cheese, diced onions, fresh cilantro sprigs, tortilla chips and lime.
*adapted from a Martha Stewart Recipe