Ingredients for Flax "Egg"
- 1 tablespoon (9 g) flaxseed meal
- 3 tablespoons (45 ml) water
Ingredients for Burgers
- Olive oil cooking spray, for greasing
- 1 bulb garlic, cloves separated and peeled
- 1 cup (164 g) cooked chickpeas
- ½ cup (35 g) cremini mushrooms
- 1⁄3 cup (80 g) Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup (200 g) cooked green lentils
- 1 cup (186 g) cooked quinoa (or “super grain”
- blend of quinoa, millet, and buckwheat)
- ½ cup (56 g) quinoa flour
- 12 gluten-free rolls, to serve
- Baby kale, to serve
- Sliced red onions, to serve
Ingredients for Sauce
- 3 tablespoons (45 g) eggless mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon (16 g) tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh horseradish
Ingredients for Avocado Fries
- Coconut oil, for greasing
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons (18 g) flaxseed meal
- 6 tablespoons (90 ml) water
- 1 cup (60 g) panko bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt, plus extra to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 near-ripe avocados, halved and pitted
1.To make the flax “egg,” mix together the flaxseed and water in a small bowl and set aside for 5 minutes, until thickened. Set aside.
2. To make the burgers, preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C, or gas mark 5). Lightly grease a
baking sheet with the cooking spray. Set aside.
3. Wrap the peeled garlic cloves in a small piece of foil, and place them in the oven for 20
minutes to roast.
4. In a food processor, combine the flax “egg,” chickpeas, mushrooms, mustard, olive oil,
spices, and roasted garlic, and pulse together until thoroughly combined. Transfer the
mixture to a medium mixing bowl and add the lentils and quinoa. Using a spoon or your
hands, thoroughly combine the mixture and gradually add the quinoa flour, a little at a time,
until the mixture is thickened, but still moist.
5. Shape a heaping spoonful of the mixture into a ball, just slightly bigger than a golf ball.
Place it onto the prepared baking sheet and flatten it out into a patty. Repeat with the
remaining mixture (you should have about a dozen burgers—I always freeze at least half and
keep some in the fridge for later in the week). Bake for 20 minutes, or until the outer edges
lose their moisture and appear on the drier side.
6. To make the sauce, combine all the ingredients together and mix well.
7. Separate a gluten-free bun and place on a plate. Put a patty on one side, top with a
generous slathering of sauce, baby kale, and red onion slices.
8. To make the fries, preheat the oven to 425°F (220°C, or gas mark 7). Lightly grease a baking
sheet with coconut oil. In one bowl, whisk together the flaxseed meal and water. In another
bowl mix your panko and seasonings. Slice the avocados lengthwise, dip in the flaxseed
mixture, and then into the panko mixture.
9. Place on the prepared baking sheet and adjust the seasoning to taste. I like to add a couple
more shakes of garlic and onion powder and a little more salt before they go in the oven.
Bake for 10 minutes, or until the panko starts to brown. Any extra sauce can be used for
Get more information about this episode >>