- 1 Medium Zucchini, finely chopped
- 1 Medium Sweet Red Pepper, finely chopped
- 1 Cup Sliced Baby Portobello Mushrooms
- 1 Medium Red Onion, finely chopped
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 3 garlic gloves, minced
- 2 tsp. minced fresh thyme or 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- 1 loaf (1lb.) day-old French bread, cubed
- 2 pkg. (5.3 oz. each) fresh goat cheese, crumbled
- 1 & ¾ cups grated Parmesan cheese
- 6 Eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 Cups fat-free milk
- ¼ tsp. ground nutmeg
"Taste of Home" recipe submitted by Danna Rogers from Westport, Connecticut.
- In a large skillet, saute the zucchini, red pepper, mushrooms, and onion in oil to tender. Add the garlic, thyme, salt and pepper; saute 1 minute longer.
- In a 13-in x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray, layer half of the bread cubes, zucchini mixture, goat cheese and Parmesan cheese. Repeat layers.
- In a small bowl, whisk the eggs, milk and nutmeg. Pour over top. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 350 Degrees for 45-50 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting.
Vegetarian Egg Strata
For more great "Taste of Home" recipes, go to www.tasteofhome.com.