- 3 (13-14oz cans) of coconut milk
- 3 T corn starch
- 1/2 t salt
- 1/4 t vanilla
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Pinch of nutmeg, cinnamon and clove
- 2 1/4 cup simple syrup
- 1 3/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 3/4 cup fresh lemon
- 1 cup water
- 2 oz mint
- 4 sprigs of Thai basil (or regular basil)
- 1/2t salt
- Pinch of cayenne
Brown Sugar Streusel:
- 2 1/2 cups melted coconut oil
- 8 cups of AP Flour
- 6 cups brown sugar
- 1 1/2T salt
- 2 t vanilla
- Pinch of nutmeg, cinnamon, clove and cardamom.
- Combine everything in a pot, whisk everything together so there are no clumps in the mixture.
- Turn heat to medium on a stove and whisk continuously to not burn the bottom.
- While you’re continuing to whisk the coconut mixture, turn the heat to high so the pudding starts to boil.
- Let it boil for a few minutes.
- Take off the heat and cool down.
*You can substitute coconut sugar in the coconut pudding which will create more of a toasty flavor. Or agave syrup, but remember it is more sweet than sugar, so make sure to adjust accordingly. Some granulated sugar is made with bone char which makes the sugar white, so if you’re vegan and want to use a different type of sugar it’s totally doable ! If you’d like to use a different substitute for corn starch, you can substitute with arrowroot starch or tapioca flour/starch.*
- Combine everything together in a Vitamix, and turn on high speed to blend really quickly before the motor starts warming the mixture (about 2min) *If you blend the granita base for too long the blender motor will heat up the mixture which will make the mint turn brown.
- Strain the mixture and use your at home ice cream machine to spin it, or you can pour the mixture into a baking pan and scrape the granita every hour to create more of an icy texture !
*If you do not have a Vitamix blender at home, you can use any type of blending apparatus. (Bullet Blender, Ninja Blender)
*You can substitute agave syrup in lieu of making simple syrup which is a healthier option! Make sure to add enough for how sweet you want the granita to be!
*You can also adjust the amount of lime and lemon juice you use, I really like the boldness of the ratio - but you can adjust to your taste!
*You can make this a boozy mojito granita by adding a little bit of rum - make sure to add a small amount because otherwise it’ll be difficult for the granita to freeze.
Brown Sugar Streusel:
- Mix flour, sugar, salt, together.
- Then add coconut oil and vanilla. Continue mixing with your hands until the oil is incorporated throughout. The mixture should be able to mold in your hands but fall apart easily, like a crumble. If you feel it’s too dry, add more oil.
- Take a sheet tray and dump all the mixture on it and press it into the tray evenly.
- Bake at 350 for 18-25 min rotating it half way through baking. The streusel will turn a golden brown throughout when it's ready.
*You can substitute brown sugar for coconut sugar.
*If you’re gluten free you can substitute the AP Flour for Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free AP Flour ! Make sure to use a gluten free flour that can be used as a 1 to 1 ratio :)
- In a bowl add coconut pudding, on one side of the bowl scrape the granita and on the other side crumble in the brown sugar streusel.
- I really like adding fresh strawberries to this dish to add another flavor profile to the entire dish and helps brighten it!
- Garnish it with little mint, or Thai basil leaves.