Ingredients for Red Velvet Cookie Hearts
- 1 cup AP Flour (plus more for dusting)
- ¼ cup Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- ½ teaspoon Baking Soda
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- 4 ounces Chocolate Chips
- ½ stick Butter, cut into pieces
- ½ cup Light Brown Sugar
- 1 Egg
- 3 tablespoons Red Food Coloring
Ingredients for Caramel Mascarpone Whip
- 1 8-ounce package Mascarpone
- 1 cup Heavy Cream
- ⅓ cup Caramel Sauce
- ¼ cup Powdered Sugar
- ½ teaspoon Vanilla Extract
Directions for Cookies
1. Whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt in small bowl, set aside.
2. Heat 1-2 inches of water in saucepan until boiling, put mixing bowl on top and lower heat to simmer. Add chocolate, butter, and brown sugar to top bowl, stir until mostly melted. Remove from double boiler and stir until butter has melted completely. Set aside.
3. Pour warm chocolate mixture into stand mixer. Beat on low, then add egg and mix until blended.
4. Add flour in thirds until completely incorporated.
5. Add food coloring and mix to combine. This will be a sticky dough.
6. Divide dough in half. Roll each half out onto parchment paper, using more flour across the top where necessary to keep rolling pin from sticking to dough. Place dough (on parchment) onto a cookie sheet and slide into the freezer for 20-30 minutes, until firm but not frozen.
7. Heat oven to 350˚. Remove one sheet of dough from freezer and flip it onto counter. Peel parchment from back. Using heart cookie cutter, cut out little hearts and place on baking sheet with ½ inch between each cookie.
8. Bake cookies until lightly toasted and firm to the touch, about 9-11 minutes.
9. Transfer cookies to cooling rack.
Directions for Whip
1. Beat mascarpone with hand mixer until light and fluffy
2. Add heavy cream, continue whipping for 2-3 minutes, until voluminous.
3. Add powdered sugar, vanilla, and caramel sauce, beat or fold until just combined.
4. Serve with red velvet chocolate cookie hearts