Ingredients for the Curry Paste
- 1 ½ cup dry long red chili peppers, seeded
- cup galangal peeled and sliced
- cup lemongrass outer tough leaves removed and sliced
- ½ cup turmeric peeled and sliced
- ½ cup garlic peeled
- ½ cup sliced wild ginger (Karachi) *You can find this at your Asian grocer in a small jar
- 1 tbsp. cup shrimp paste
Ingredients for Curry Dish
- 1 lb clams in the shell (cleaned)
- 1 quart Chicken stock
- 1 cup Coconut cream
- 2 Lemongrass stick
- ¼ cup Kaffir Lime leaf (whole)
- ½ cup Thai Basil leaves
- 2 tbsp. Tamarind liquid
- 2 tbsp. Fish Sauce
- 2 tbsp. Oyster sauce
- 1 tbsp. white Sugar
For the Curry Paste:
1. Soak the dry seeded chilies in warm water for 20 minutes then drain and add all the ingredients together, blend in a food processor until a smooth uniformed paste, if too dry add a little water to help blend.
For the Curry Dish:
1. Bring stock & coconut cream to the boil in a medium sized saucepan with lemongrass & lime leaf to infuse.
2. Once boiling add 4 TBS of curry paste and cook till aromatic and no longer tastes raw.
3. Season the broth with oyster sauce, fish sauce, tamarind and sugar.
4. Add the clams and cook on a low simmer for about a minute till the clams are almost cooked, add Thai basil and continue to simmer till cooked.
5. Adjust the seasoning if necessary and serve with steamed Jasmine rice.