Ingredients for Seasoning Mix
- 1 pound onions, sliced ¼-inch thick
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ tsp. cumin, ground
- ½ tsp. coriander, ground
- 3 Tbsp. tamari soy
- 2 Tbsp. of your favorite BBQ sauce
- ½ tsp, sriracha
- 2 tsp. whole grain mustard
Ingredients for Turkey Meatloaf
- 3 pounds ground turkey
- ¾ pound smoked turkey
- 1 cup seasoning mix
- 2 ½ Tbsp. butter
- 1 ¼ cups onions, diced
- 1 ¼ cups carrots, diced
- 1 ¼ cups celery diced
- 2 ½ Tbsp. fresh thyme, chopped
- 2 ½ Tbsp. fresh sage, chopped
- ½ Tbsp. fresh rosemary, chopped
- ½ cup milk
- 3 eggs
- 2 + 1 tsp. salt, divided
- 2 + 1 tsp. black pepper, divided
- 1 cup spinach
Ingredients for the Turkey Gravy
- 4 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 ⅓ cups onions, diced small
- ⅔ cup celery, diced small
- ¼ cup flour
- 1 tsp. fresh thyme
- 1 tsp. fresh sage
- ½ tsp. fresh rosemary
- 3 cups chicken or turkey stock
- 1 ½ tsp. chicken boullion
- 2 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
Ingredients for the Mashed Potatoes
- 2 ½ pounds red skin potatoes
- 2 Tbsp. Kosher salt, divided
- Water to cover
- 8 Tbsp. butter
- 1 cup sour cream
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- ¾ cup sliced green onions
- 1 Tbsp. ground black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 350°F
2. Caramelize the onions over medium heat for 30 minutes.
3. Transfer the onions to a blender or food processor. Add in the remaining ingredients and blend until smooth. Set aside to cool.
1. In a large pan, melt the butter and saute the onions, carrots, celery and garlic over medium heat until softened and just translucent. About 10 minutes. Add in the thyme, sage and rosemary. Saute another 5 minutes. Season with 1 tsp. each salt and black pepper. Set aside to cool.
2. Add the smoked turkey to a food processor and pulse until the meat is chopped in to small pieces. Combine the smoked turkey with the ground turkey, seasoning mix, sautéed herbs and vegetables, milk, eggs and 2 tsp. each salt and pepper.
3. Spray two 10-inch loaf pans with non-stick cooking spray. Line the pans with parchment paper and spray them again. Fill the loaf pans with the meat mixture. Cover with foil.
4. Place the loaf pan into a deep baking dish. Fill the baking dish with water ½ way up the loaf pan. Bake in a 350°F for about 1 hour and 15 minutes. While the meatloaf is baking make the gravy and potatoes. The meatloaf is done when a meat thermometer reads 160°F. Allow the meatloaf to cool completely in the pan. Remove from the loaf pan and slice into 1-inch thick slices.
1. Sear each slice of meatloaf on both sides until heated through. Place the potatoes and a small bunch of spinach onto each plate. Top with gravy.
1. In a large sauce pot, saute the butter, onions and celery until the vegetables are light brown in color. Stirring frequently, incorporate the flour to make a light roux. Add in the herbs and continue to stir for 1 minute.
2. Whisk in the chicken stock and bullion. Bring the gravy to a simmer for 10 minutes. Whisk in the lemon juice and season with salt and pepper.
3. Strain the gravy through a mesh sieve to remove any unwanted lumps. Set aside.
RED SKIN MASHED POTATOES:
1. Place the potatoes and 1 Tbsp. salt into a large pot. Cover with cold water. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer. About 30 minutes.
2. Drain the potatoes and return to the pot.
3. Add butter and sour cream. Coarsely mash the potatoes. Stir in the cream, green onions, salt and pepper. You can add more cream to reach your desired texture.
4. Re-season with salt and pepper as needed. Keep warm.