Ingredients for Gyro
- 2 lbs ground dark turkey meat (make sure it’s very cold)
- 1 medium onion, quartered
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons ground rosemary
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
Ingredients for Yogurt Sauce
- 2 cups Reduced fat organic yogurt
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped dill
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsely
- lots of fresh cracked pepper. (approx 1⁄4 teaspoon)
Ingredients fro Garnish
- 1 english cucumber, finely diced
- 1 cup baby tomatoes, cut in half lengthwise
- 1⁄2 large red onion, peeled and sliced thin
- 1⁄4 cup chopped mint
- 1⁄2 cup chopped parsley
1) Place the onion, and garlic into a food processor, pulse until finely chopped. Next add the turkey, and seasonings. Turn on the food processor and let the meat whip for about a minute, until it turns into a tacky paste. Place the meat mixture into a bowl and chill for at least 2 hours.
2) While your turkey is resting, make the yogurt dressing. In a large bowl combine the yogurt, lemon juice, olive oil, salt, dill, parsley and pepper. Mix to combine.
When your turkey is ready, form them into 4 evenly shaped “logs”. Preheat a large cast iron skillet over medium high heat and add about 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Cook the turkey in batches for about 4-5 minutes per side. The outside should be nice and golden brown.
3) Remove from the heat and let them rest for about 5-10 minutes on your cutting board. Slice each loaf vertically into thing slices, place the slices onto a sheet pan. (Note: the inside may still be a bit raw, that’s okay because we are going to cook them again) For better slicing results pop them into the refrigerator and let them cool completely (around 30-40 minutes)
4) In the same skillet heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil over high heat. Lay each slice of turkey in the pan and cook for 1 minute a side, or until nice and brown.
To assemble the gyro, place a few slices of gyro meat onto a pita bread or into a lettuce cup. Spoon some of the yogurt sauce on top and top that with some diced cucumber, baby tomatoes, a few slices of thinly sliced red onion and fresh herbs.
Check out more delicious recipes at the Home & Family Pinterest Page