- 2 cups frozen mango chunks
- ½ cup frozen pineapple chunks
- 1 frozen banana
- ½–1 cup plant-based milk
- 2 tablespoons chopped nuts of your choice
- ¼ cup chopped fruit of your choice
- 1 tablespoon flaxseed meal
- 1½ tablespoons coconut shreds
Ingredients for Green Banana Smoothie Bowl
- 3 large or 4 small frozen bananas
- 1 ½ cups of spinach
- ½ – 1 cup plant-based milk
- 2 tablespoons of your favorite
- 2 sliced strawberries
- Handful of blueberries
from Plant-Based on a Budget by Toni Okamoto (BenBella Books, 2019)
Yields 1 to 2 servings
NOTE: It took me a long time to jump on the smoothie bowl bandwagon, but my dear friend Michelle Cehn from the blog World of Vegan has got me hooked. Smoothie bowls provide texture and substance that make smoothies feel more like a proper breakfast. Plus, they’re always a hit on Instagram!
1. Add the mango, pineapple, banana, and milk (1 cup makes it a thinner smoothie and ½ cup makes it thicker) to a blender and blend until smooth.
2. Pour the smoothie into a bowl and top with the nuts and fruit.
FOR GREEN BANANA SMOOTHIE BOWL:
1. Add frozen bananas, spinach, and milk (1 cup makes it a thinner smoothie and ½ cup makes it thicker) to a blender and blend until smooth.
2. Pour the smoothie into a bowl.
3. and top with the nuts and fruit.
NOTE ON FREEZING BANANAS: When your bananas are ripe (the browner, the better), peel them, thinly slice them, and put them in a freezer bag or storage container in the freezer.
NOTE: If you don’t have a high-powered blender, start by blending the milk and kale together first to reduce any green chunks. Then, add bananas in a few slices at a time.