Cameron is adding a golden crunch to this cozy classic with curry croutons.
Tomato soup with Curry Croutons
Appetizer, Lunch, Dinner
- 3 tablespoons grapeseed oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 1 cup diced onion
- One 28-ounce can crushed Italian tomatoes
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- ½ cup coconut milk
- 3 cups day-old sourdough bread
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 3 tablespoons curry powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- Black pepper, to taste
Tomato Soup with Curry Croutons - Home & Family
- Put the oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. When it glistens, add the garlic and ginger and saute until just translucent, 1-2 minutes. Add the onion and continue to cook until soft and translucent as well, another 5-6 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, water, salt, and sugar to the pan. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 25 minutes; remove from the heat.
- Working in batches if necessary, puree the soup in a blender until it’s velvety smooth (you can also use an immersion blender right in the pan). Add the coconut milk and stir well to combine.
- Preheat the oven to 375º F.
- In a large bowl, combine the bread, butter, curry powder, salt, and pepper. Toss well to distribute the ingredients.
- Spread the bread cubes out on a sheet pan, giving them plenty of space in between. Bake the bread cubes for 15-20 minutes, or until slightly golden brown and crisp. Toss cubes once or twice throughout baking to expose all sides.