Debbie is making a Pimento Cheese Galette that pairs with Hallmark Channel Wines newest sparkling rosé, “Cheers.”
Tomato Pimento Cheese Galette
- 2 cups all purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¾ cup chilled unsalted butter, cubed
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup ice water
- 1 egg, lightly beaten (for crust wash)
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1 ½ pounds heirloom tomatoes, sliced ~¼” thick
- Handful cherry tomatoes, halved (optional)
- Kosher salt
- ~1 cup pimento cheese
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced chives
- Basil leaves, for garnish
- Pulse 2 cups flour and kosher salt in a food processor to combine. Add butter and pulse until mixture resembles coarse meal with a few pea-size pieces of butter remaining.
- Transfer mixture to a large bowl; drizzle with vinegar and ice water. Mix with a fork, adding more ice water by the tablespoonful as needed, just until a shaggy dough comes together. Turn out onto a work surface and lightly knead until no dry spots remain (be careful not to overwork). Pat into a disk and wrap in plastic. Chill at least 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 400°. Spread tomatoes on wire rack over sheet tray, sprinkle liberally with kosher salt, let sit 5 minutes. If tomatoes appear particularly wet after the 5-minute wait, pat them dry with paper towels.
- Unwrap dough and roll out on a lightly floured sheet of parchment paper to a 14" round about ⅛" thick. Transfer on parchment to a baking sheet.
- Evenly coat the bottom of the dough with pimento cheese (approx. 1 cup) leaving roughly a 1-2-inch border around the edge. Arrange tomatoes on top of the pimento cheese. Sprinkle tomatoes with black pepper.
- Fold the edges of dough over tomatoes. Brush any exposed dough with egg wash. Sprinkle crust with sesame seeds and extra salt. If dough has been at room temperature for too long and feels soft at this point, place the formed galette in freezer for 10 minutes before baking.
- Bake galette, rotating once, until crust is golden brown and cooked through, 55–65 minutes. Let cool slightly on baking sheet.
- Garnish with chives and basil leaves.