Ingredients for Dressing
- 3 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- ½ tsp. sumac
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- ½ tsp. salt
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
Ingredients for Salad
- 2 bunches watercress, tough stems trimmed away
- 1/3 cup red onion, shaved thin
- ½ cup fresh mint leaves, finely chopped
- 3 cups cooked farro
- Poached Eggs
- Coconut bacon
- Extra virgin olive oil for finishing
Ingredients for Coconut Bacon
- 3 cups Coconut Flake, large not shredded
- 2 tablespoons Tamari
- 1 tablespoon Maple Syrup
- 2 teaspoons Liquid Smoke
- 1/2 teaspoon Smoked Paprika
- Kosher Salt
Directions for Salad
1. Whisk all of the dressing ingredients in the bottom of a large salad bowl until combined. Set aside.
2. Soak the shaved onions in ice water for 30 minutes. This will significantly reduce any bitterness. Pat dry before adding to the salad.
3. Wash the watercress thoroughly and pat dry. Roughly chop the watercress then add it to the bowl with the dressing. Add in the onion, mint and farro. Toss to coat.
4. Divide the salad into 4-6 servings. Top each with poached egg. Sprinkle each portion of egg with a bit of sumac, fresh cracked pepper and a drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil. Top with coconut bacon.
Directions for Bacon
1. Heat oven to 325˚, line baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the tamari, maple syrup, liquid smoke, and smoked paprika.
3. Add coconut flakes to bowl with marinade and toss thoroughly to combine. Make sure all pieces are coated.
4. Add coated coconut flakes to baking sheet in one layer and cook for 20-25 minutes, tossing every 5-7 minutes to prevent burning. Remove when coconut is brown and caramelized. Let cool before using/storing, coconut will crisp up as it cools.