BUNDT STUFFING INGREDIENTS:
- 1-pound Bread, sandwich, toasted cubes
- 4 tablespoons Butter, divided
- ¾ pound Italian Sausage
- 8 ounces Chopped Onion (~1 small yellow onion)
- 1 diced Apple (~7 ounces/1 cup, peeled and cored)
- 5 ounces Shredded Celery Root (~1 ½ cups)
- 2 garlic Cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons Minced Fresh Sage
- Salt and Pepper
- 3 ½ cups Chicken Stock, divided
- 3 Eggs
- 2 tablespoons Minced Parsley
- 2 tablespoons Granulated Gelatin
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Bacon Fat or Butter
FOR THE VINAIGRETTE:
- 5 Tbsp. toasted pumpkin seeds
- ¼ cup avocado or light olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. apple juice
- 1 tsp. maple syrup
- ¼ tsp. ground cumin
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
FOR THE SALAD:
- 1/3 cup sweet potato, cut into matchsticks
- 1 watermelon radishes, sliced into thin rounds
- 6 oz. radicchio, torn
- ½ Fuyu persimmon, sliced thin
- 2 cup watercress, picked and rinsed
- ¼ cup pomegranate seeds
- Pumpernickel croutons
Yield: 1 Bundt Pan, 8-10 servings
Serves 3 - 4
BUNDT STUFFING DIRECTIONS:
1. Heat oven to 275˚. Cube bread and spread evenly on baking sheets. Bake bread until completely dried, about 40 minutes, swapping and shifting trays as necessary. Remove from oven and allow to cool. Increase temperature to 425˚ and place bundt pan in oven to heat up.
2. Melt 1-2 tablespoons butter in Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add sausage and break up with wooden spoon, cook until mostly done, then remove from Dutch oven and set aside.
3. Add onion, to Dutch oven, and cook until translucent, 7-10 minutes. Season with salt as needed.
4. Add apple and shredded celery root to Dutch oven and cook until softened, 7-10 minutes. Season with salt as needed. Add more butter as needed to keep vegetables from burning.
5. Add garlic and herbs to Dutch oven and cook until fragrant, 2-3 minutes.
6. Remove Dutch oven from heat and stir in 2 cups chicken stock.
7. Whisk remaining 1 ½ cups chicken stock with eggs and parsley in separate bowl. Season well with salt and pepper. Sprinkle gelatin on top and let it bloom for 5 minutes. Slowly pour egg mixture into sausage mixture while constantly stirring to avoid scrambling the eggs. Stir until gelatin is completely melted.
8. Add bread cubes to liquid and stir until liquid is almost entirely absorbed, 2-3 minutes.
9. Remove pan from oven and add 1-2 tablespoons bacon fat or butter to grease. Brush fat all around the pan to coat.
10. Press stuffing into pan and cover with foil. Lower heat in oven to 375˚. Bake covered for 45 minutes, then remove foil and continue to bake 15-20 minutes longer, until browned on top.
11. Let rest in pan for 30 minutes, then loosen edges with a flexible spatula and place a baking sheet on top of the bundt pan, then flip the dish over and remove the pan. Serve hot.
FALL SALAD WITH PUMPKIN SEED VINAIGRETTE DIRECTIONS:
For the Vinaigrette
1. Combine the ingredients together in a blender or food processor until smooth. Strain to remove any large solids. If the dressing is too thick whisk in a little water to the desired consistency. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
For the Salad
2. Toss all of the salad ingredients together in a large shallow bowl. Drizzle with Pumpkin Seed Vinaigrette. Garnish with pumpernickel croutons.
Recipe by Dan Kohler,10/27/19